A dear friend of mine shared this dish with me years ago. It has become my comfort food, my go-to, my happiness. It is best at its simplest, but as always, recipes are made to be altered, so feel free!
Chef: Mary Wallin/Joshua Savage
Recipe type: Vegetarian
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- ½ red onion
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1-2 cups of chopped kale
- 3 tblsp tahini
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 avocado chopped
- Liquid Aminos
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa and water together in a rice cooker or stove top.
- While it is cooking, saute onion with olive oil in a pan.
- Add kale and cover to steam the kale with the onion.
- When quinoa is done, stir in tahini.
- Toss in onion and kale and combine.
- Add liquid aminos and cayenne to taste.
- Add in tomato and avocado and serve!
Because there is fresh tomato and avocado in this dish, leftovers are okay, but not desired. I usually do ¼ cup quinoa per person that will be eating and adjust the recipe accordingly. Spices such as cayenne, liquid aminos, salt, and pepper are usually done individually.