I recently did an Elimination Diet. It was hard finding a variety of things I could eat. I found a great recipe for biscuits and with some modifications, it can be made a variety of ways to suit anyone’s diet! The recipe already includes Dairy, Soy, and Egg free!
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 3 tblsp solid coconut oil (butter may be substituted)
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- ¾ cup sun dried tomatoes (sliced)
- ¾ cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl, this includes any herbs such as dried rosemary or basil.
- Add in coconut oil or butter and press with a large fork until it is a crumbly consistency.
- Add in applesauce and mix together until dough is formed and does not stick to your hands.
- Add in spinach, feta, and sun dried tomatoes and mix well.
- Spoon onto ungreased baking pan and then shape into biscuits.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Allow to cool and cook a little longer on pan once removed from oven.
For substitutions, include:
For Gluten Free – Use certified Gluten Free baking flour. I recommend Bob Mill’s 1 to 1 Baking Flour, it has a variety of GF flours so you do not have to mix.
For Corn Free – Instead of baking powder, mix together 2 tsp cream of tartar with 2 tsp arrowroot powder and 1 tsp of baking soda.
For Dairy Free – Omit any cheese in the recipe. Make sure to use coconut oil, and not butter.
Try several variations, including rosemary and cracked pepper, or cheddar and garlic!